Project 76 Restoration at SRI, Owosso

The Steam Railroading Institute is excited to officially announce the launch of Project 76, a campaign for the complete restoration and operation of 2-8-0 steam locomotive No. 76.

Crafted throughout the early months of 2017 with behind the scenes work and strategic planning, Project 76 is spearheaded by a team of SRI’s youngest volunteers who’s helping to pave the way for the next generation in railway preservation. “As young volunteers working on restoring a steam locomotive, we are at a crucial point,” said Logan Schupp, Project Manager of Project 76. “Most of the first generation of steam preservationists are passing on and with them their knowledge.”
 
Built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in December of 1920, the 76 was originally numbered 40 for the Jonesboro, Lake City & Eastern Railroad before being leased to the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway (aka the FRISCO) carrying the number it has today. In 1947, the locomotive was sold to the Mississippian
Railway and remained on the roster until the late 1960’s when the continuous cycle of ownership’s plagued the 76 for nearly 40 years. In the spring of 2005, the locomotive was purchased by the Steam
Railroading Institute and moved to its new home in Owosso to become a stablemate to the famous Pere Marquette 1225. The smaller size of the 76 can not only open a larger market in
passenger excursions for SRI, but also a whole new generation of preservationists in steam railroading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *